Thursday, July 28, 2011

Kentucky Lake Dam - Locked in the Lock

I tried to film as much as I could but I needed to hang on to the line which was on a "floating" bollard while the chamber filled with water.  There was a lot of turbulance and it took all my strength at times to keep the front of the boat secured while Bob held the line at the aft.  We ascended 54'. It was scary.  I was glad the lockmaster didn't open the wrong gate after the chamber was filled otherwise we would have instantly ended up wayyyyy back at the Ohio River. (20 miles)


We didn't come out of the lock unscathed.  The sunshade scraped along the rough concrete chamber wall several times as did the cover on the grill and both wore holes in them. Bummer.  We have been told that we have higher locks to go through on the Tenn-Tom so we will do things differently.  Lesson Learned!

No comments: