Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pickwick Lake - Marinas

So the weekend through Monday was spent at Waterfall Cove, but Tuesday found us in need of supplies, so Heron and Blue Heron headed for Aqua Yacht Harbor Marina with plans to head on down the Yellow River to Tenn Tom Bigby Waterway Wednesday morning.  http://www.aquayachtharbor.com/  At the marina, Maureen, Bob & I went for groceries in the courtesy car to Savannah, TN about 20 miles away. Gale stayed behind to relax & rest after a restless night.  He is being treated for skin cancer and has reached a very painful point in the healing process. The prognosis is very good, but these next couple of weeks will be very painful.

Since we are only about 450 miles from hurricane territory, leaving here on Wed. Aug. 24th would put us in Mobile far too early to avoid the threat of hurricanes.  The thought of dealing with hurricanes became a reality to Bob (or perhaps he finally listened to me) late Tuesday evening, so after discussion with Gale & Maureen, it was decided that Bob & I would hang out at Pickwick Lake for 1 month before heading on down to the gulf.  Gale & Maureen were anxious to get going but the skin cancer treatments were wearing Gale out, so they will stick around at least until he is feeling better.  They have been at Aqua Yacht Harbor this week, but Bob & I liked Grand Harbor slightly better, so we have been here since Wed. The nightly slip rental is $25.00 or $1.00 per foot of boat length, but the monthly rate is $10.00 per foot per night.  $250.00 per month is very reasonable. The two marinas are only about 2 miles from each other. Beautiful swimming pool, air conditioned captain's room with livingroom atmosphere, fitness room with TV's, courtesy car, very nice clean shower close by, lots of space to walk Wicket and super friendly folks make for a comfortable home for us.  http://www.gograndharbor.com/





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gale and Maureen...
If Gale is using efudex cream to remove years of sun damage and the resultant actinic keritosis, let me assure you that you are doing the right thing by pausing on your trip to get past the worst of the treatment. I used the cream 2 years ago for two weeks. From day 10 to day 18, the pain, itching, and burning was almost unbearable. I tried every potion possible to relieve it. The best thing I found was gooping massive amounts of regular old Vaseline jelly on it and carefully rubbing it in. I hope your regimen isn't longer, Gale. My doc left it up to me to decide how long to use it...at least two weeks, but up to four weeks. At two weeks, I couldn't take it anymore. Remarkably, by about day 20, my face and neck were as smooth as a baby's butt, albeit bit red. By day 28, most of the redness was gone, and I was very pleased with the fact that I no longer had large patches of sun damaged crusty skin. After using it, your skin will be VERY sensitive to sun. Use sun block and shade your treated areas. I don't all the time, and my wife hammers me about it, but I am trying to do better.

Good luck.
Will
S/V Tensie Mae